Firmware Update for the Q

This forum is used to discuss the G-PAD Q

Moderators: Matricom Guru, Global Moderator

Forum rules
If you need direct assistance from Matricom Technical Support you can e-mail a support agent directly via the e-mail support@matricom.net
jt7031@gmail.com

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Only can open Apps in the "all apps" menu after the last firmware update......Matricom has to fix this!!!
I have 3 gbox q's and only 1 of them took the firmware correctly and is running perfectly.
Majority of the folks I've hooked up with this system are coming to me and I don't have the answer......fix this Matricom!! >:(

swedyman

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:11 am

I've done the update and everything works fine

markolomew

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:35 am

wookiee2cu wrote:Were you able to finally get passed the Matricom logo screen? This is where my device is stuck and nothing works, from their response they say to
System settings >> about & Help >> reboot and recovery but how do you get there when you are stuck on the logo screen? The only thing I haven't tried is doing a toothpick reset without an SD card or USB with firmware files on it plugged into the device. I tried the bootloop files and that didn't work either. If you can let me know if you got yours resolved and how it would be appreciated, thanks!
No I wasn't. It was so stuck that I got a return RMA from Matricom and was about to ship it off when one of the guys there suggested I try the following, and it worked:

Get an SD card. Format it to Fat32. Put the latest update files on the root of the SD card...no folders or anything, just the 3 files. I believe the latest version is 2.1.1, so look on the main page of the forums to get the 2.1.1 link for download. Don't put the SD card in the GBox card slot yet, leave it out. Unplug the power to the GBox, put a toothpick in the A/V in the back and press down the little button and hold it. While holding the button down, plug the GBox power back in and keep holding the button down until you see the recovery screen pop up. Cycle down to Factory Reset, and wipe that bad boy clean. After you are done, put the SD Card in the Card Slot on the Gbox, and do the toothpick method again (pull the power, push down the button, plug the power back in...etc). This time when the recovery screen comes on, it should automatically start updating. THIS UPDATE MIGHT SAY IT FAILED BUT IT DID NOT. If it says it failed to install "/misc", you're still fine. After it is done or failed, reboot. You might need to manually install Kodi from the playstore, but if so, that's not that bad. So there you go, that should do it.

koller16

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:41 pm

Someone else is getting this same error? This is happening since I updated to the firmware 2.0 and make impossible use any app from the google play store, I had to disable google play services to be able to use Kodi (and no other google app works without this) to be able to use the box without having this message popping out every minute. I will now try what markolomew suggested to see if that helps.

Update> Did the steps that markolomew sugested to see if that fix the play store problem but nothing, updated to 2.1.1, works better but I would prefer to go back to 1.4 as it was more stable than this and dont have the google play services problem. If someone have a fix I am all ears!
materror.jpg
materror.jpg (63.16 KiB) Viewed 5105 times
Last edited by koller16 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gforidis

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:05 pm

jt7031@gmail.com wrote:Only can open Apps in the "all apps" menu after the last firmware update......Matricom has to fix this!!!
I have 3 gbox q's and only 1 of them took the firmware correctly and is running perfectly.
Majority of the folks I've hooked up with this system are coming to me and I don't have the answer......fix this Matricom!! >:(
Yep...same here. Apps on the home page are dead now. Do these idiots thing everyone are IT's wanting to endlessly tinker with a system that was working fine before the powers that be decided to basically brick it remotely?

wookiee2cu

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:05 pm

markolomew wrote:
wookiee2cu wrote:Were you able to finally get passed the Matricom logo screen? This is where my device is stuck and nothing works, from their response they say to
System settings >> about & Help >> reboot and recovery but how do you get there when you are stuck on the logo screen? The only thing I haven't tried is doing a toothpick reset without an SD card or USB with firmware files on it plugged into the device. I tried the bootloop files and that didn't work either. If you can let me know if you got yours resolved and how it would be appreciated, thanks!
No I wasn't. It was so stuck that I got a return RMA from Matricom and was about to ship it off when one of the guys there suggested I try the following, and it worked:

Get an SD card. Format it to Fat32. Put the latest update files on the root of the SD card...no folders or anything, just the 3 files. I believe the latest version is 2.1.1, so look on the main page of the forums to get the 2.1.1 link for download. Don't put the SD card in the GBox card slot yet, leave it out. Unplug the power to the GBox, put a toothpick in the A/V in the back and press down the little button and hold it. While holding the button down, plug the GBox power back in and keep holding the button down until you see the recovery screen pop up. Cycle down to Factory Reset, and wipe that bad boy clean. After you are done, put the SD Card in the Card Slot on the Gbox, and do the toothpick method again (pull the power, push down the button, plug the power back in...etc). This time when the recovery screen comes on, it should automatically start updating. THIS UPDATE MIGHT SAY IT FAILED BUT IT DID NOT. If it says it failed to install "/misc", you're still fine. After it is done or failed, reboot. You might need to manually install Kodi from the playstore, but if so, that's not that bad. So there you go, that should do it.
That worked!! Thank you for sharing those instructions, now to downgrade to 1.3 and return the G-Box Q2.

dougjp

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:30 am

jt7031@gmail.com wrote:Only can open Apps in the "all apps" menu after the last firmware update......Matricom has to fix this!!!
I want to thank you for this post. I was about to give up. I had uninstalled Kodi 16, cleared caches, re-installed which didn't help.

Before your comment there was no way of opening Kodi (ie; from the starting icon) without going to Google Play Store and then get trapped there on exit from Kodi. Yes they have to fix this and I can't see, given Kodi can at least start from somewhere (All Apps) in the menu, why the main screen menu Kodi icons won't open it.

zanette
Baby Member
Baby Member

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Updated to firmware 2.1.1 and the LED never turns off when I power down. I used to use Openelec on it and the LED would turn off fine. Any way to fix this?

zanette
Baby Member
Baby Member

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:18 pm

zanette wrote:Updated to firmware 2.1.1 and the LED never turns off when I power down. I used to use Openelec on it and the LED would turn off fine. Any way to fix this?

So I sort of figured out what is going on although I don't know why.

If you leave kodi running and press the power key on the remote, it leaves the G light on. If however you first go to the power menu in kodi and choose Exit, then wait until you're back at the android screen, then press the power button on the remote, it will turn off the G LED light. Kind of annoying but at least I know how to turn off the light now.

bigdaddy

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:29 pm

So, all seems to be working okay with all the updates except the sd card slot will not recognize an sd card. Any fix for this yet?

tautog

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:40 pm

bigdaddy wrote:So, all seems to be working okay with all the updates except the sd card slot will not recognize an sd card. Any fix for this yet?

I, along with some others, have had success with this: SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD on Google play. Or for fun you can add it manually.
Make sure you reboot box after you are done.

ledcat

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:23 pm

zanette wrote:Updated to firmware 2.1.1 and the LED never turns off when I power down. I used to use Openelec on it and the LED would turn off fine. Any way to fix this?
When I updated to 2.1.1, pressing the power button brings up a prompt for restart, if I hit the power button again unit shuts down and led goes off. If I hit the enter button after pressing the power button once unit restarts. I don't quite understand this, but that is how mine is working.

zanette
Baby Member
Baby Member

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:50 pm

ledcat wrote:
When I updated to 2.1.1, pressing the power button brings up a prompt for restart, if I hit the power button again unit shuts down and led goes off. If I hit the enter button after pressing the power button once unit restarts. I don't quite understand this, but that is how mine is working.

Weird, I don't get a prompt at all. It's like we're on different firmwares. ???

dhartwig

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:20 pm

zanette wrote:
ledcat wrote:

Weird, I don't get a prompt at all. It's like we're on different firmwares. ???
Sorry if I missed it but has anyone confirmed which Q box there using with these updates. Thinking Q1 and Q2 are giving different iresults with these updates. Hence the problems some ppl are having and others not so much. It may be a good idea to start a separate thread for the Q2 to isolate these problems to specific boxex.
Last edited by dhartwig on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tornicade

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:35 pm

I had 2.0 I put the actual update file on the USB stick and then hit recovery reboot.

The booter loaded and I selected udisk then the zip file.

The other 2 filed weren't necessary and wouldn't mount

I

• Information