[Firmware 2.1.1][OTA][Android 5.1.1] Q Update -- Welcome back rocket ship

This forum is used to discuss the G-PAD Q

Moderators: Matricom Guru, Global Moderator

Forum rules
If you need direct assistance from Matricom Technical Support you can e-mail a support agent directly via the e-mail support@matricom.net
smeltn

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:18 pm

So my box is working fine on 5.1 BUT Netflix app force closes when trying to open. I even wipe/factory reset the box and reinstalled Netflix app from the store and it force closes as soon as it opens..
Anyone else having this problem or know how I can fix it?

du7000

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:42 pm

smeltn wrote:So my box is working fine on 5.1 BUT Netflix app force closes when trying to open. I even wipe/factory reset the box and reinstalled Netflix app from the store and it force closes as soon as it opens..
Anyone else having this problem or know how I can fix it?

Exact same problem. The Netflix logo appears for a few seconds, then just goes away. All other apps wroking fine.

Original Q box with latest firmware.

CarlosJR

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:32 pm

I think it is a problem with the latest update of Netflix from the Google Play store. I downloaded the Netflix version from the Amazon app store and it ran fine. It was an older version. When I updated the app again, it stopped working. I downloaded the app again from Amazon and backed up the apk. Waiting for official word.

CarlosJR

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Today I updated Netflix from the Google Play store and it works.

du7000

Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Confirmed. The Netflix update worked for me too.

supkat

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Christopher_Caruso wrote:
omericosun wrote:So,

I finally upgraded from 1.3.1 to 2.1.1.

I'm using a mini-keyboard (Rii), no shortcuts anymore with this crappy new update!

Two question to all,

1. How the hell can i get back to home screen without exiting Kodi physically?
2. How can I kill open apps without going to the App settings and forcing quit it??

They removed the bottom-command bar which allowed to both switch apps and to kill open apps.

Please, can someone shed some light?
I 2nd what omericosun is saying. The fact that you can't back out of an existing app and get back to the home screen is annoying. Using the Rii remote I used to be able to click the "e" button to immediately return to the home screen. Another one was the ability to reboot the box using ctrl+alt+delete on the keyboard remote, but now this no longer works.
I had previously downgraded my 1.4 box to 1.3.1 as this was the best version. I took the chance and upgraded my box to this new 2.1.1 update hoping things would be better. There are some SERIOUS issues.
Here are my complaints:
1. No way to go to the home screen. The Matricom fly remote is incapable of doing a majority of the tasks required. As such most users have alternative remotes. I use a Rii remote and was also able to click on the Internet explorer 'e' button to go to the home screen. The removal of the home feature is the biggest issue I am having. It is a serious pain to escape out of an application. Please correct. The long home press that brings up a horizontal app bar is unnecessary, buggy and annoying as I configure my categories in TVLauncher. I don't use Kodi but use other apps for all my tv and video viewing so I need a way to quickly exit.
2. No way to set the default launcher. I used to be able to set the launcher to an app called 'TVLauncher'. Now all that is available is the deficient Matricom launcher. This box promised the ability of not being locked down. Please correct.
3. The notification bar and the status bar is removed. I used to be able to quickly reach settings menu or view recently downloaded apps and files. The status bar quickly sent me to home screen and opened apps.
4. When the plug is pulled on the box the android app starts up and begins optimizing the apps. This would not have been a problem if it was a quick procedure. However I have 232 apps and I made the mistake of pulling the plug to exit an app (as there was no way to go to home screen) and it literally took over an hour to start back up. My goodness!! Why is it like this? If I had pulled the plug and powered up the box before in version 1.3.1 it would take less than 5 minutes. Please fix.
5. The GBOX settings app is removed. I was able to configure display settings such as status bar and screen orientation etc.

Some of the issues I mentioned were mentioned by other forum users quite in March. And I realize that the issues are still not resolved. Matricom please stop removing features that have been working before. Add to the firmware, not subtract. As it stands, although this UI is sleek,version 1.3.1 is still a solid winner because of its working features.

I look forward to a resolution to the above mentioned problems.

Update 04 October 2016 :
The above problems were overwhelming me too much so I came up with the following solutions which hopefully would be of help to someone:

1. Home Screen and 2. Default Launcher: These were the deal breaker for me. If I couldnt have gotten this resolved I was rolling back to 1.3.1. Luckily, after some tinkering, I was able to get my launcher (TVLauncher) as the default launcher when the home button is pressed. I had to uninstall the Matricom launcher to get this to work. After making sure that my launcher was installed. I used ES File Explorer > Root Explorer > Uninstall apps > Matricom Launcher. Restarted Box. Now when I press my 'e'/aka Home button on the Rii remote , it takes me quickly to the home screen Sweet!.
As for the 'e' button being used as the home button on the Rii Mini i8 remote, I found it to be misleading. So I remapped the remote and now use the house button on the remote as the home button and the e button as the menu. To do this I again used ES File Explorer, ensured that hidden files were shown. Mounted R/W for the '/' and '/System' folder. Did the following: went to Device > System > usr > Keylayout and copied Generic.kl to another folder. Renamed file as Vender_1997_Product_2433.kl , as 1997 and 2433 is the information shown when the input devices command is issued in Terminal Emulator. Located the following keys in the layout and ensured that they now read:
key 144 HOME
key 172 MENU

Saved file and copied back to the original Keylayout folder. Restarted the box. Keys were remapped.
What I am looking to remap now is the recent apps button. When I get this figured out, I will be set. In the mean time I use ALT + TAB on the keyboard.

3. I am currently working on resolving the notification and status bar issue. Would update this post whenever I get it working.

4. I am no longer afraid of pulling the plug or restarting my box. For some reason, there is no more long hours of optimising 232 apps. Perhaps it was a one time issue or perhaps it was because I had previously uninstalled the Matricom Launcher. Whatever the case, it no longer happens. I am glad.

5. There is no GBox settings app yes, but there is a Settings app, which has on the Display icon, an option to configure screen orientation. Ensure that it is set to force wide screen as some apps eg. HaystackTV or PlutoTV crash on startup if this option is not enabled.

All in all, because I was able to resolve some of the major problems I was experiencing, I no longer would be rolling back the upgrade to 1.3.1. With the minor modifications I made, this new firmware version 2.1.1 is great now! :)
Last edited by supkat on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pcaseiro

Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am

laxamar wrote:Does this firmware work on the Q2 (not the original Q) device? Has anyone tried?

I can't find any firmware specific to the Q2
I have the same doubt.

Will this uodate also work for the Q2?

Also, how can i see the current firmware?

GTerplan

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:29 pm

I have upgraded to the 2.1.1 firmware and with Kodi 16.1 and trying to play the newer h.265 files I am only getting choppy audio and no video. From what I have read, this box is supposed to be able to handle this so is there some setting that is wrong or is there a firmware issue?

tnpaparazzi

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:30 pm

GTerplan wrote:I have upgraded to the 2.1.1 firmware and with Kodi 16.1 and trying to play the newer h.265 files I am only getting choppy audio and no video. From what I have read, this box is supposed to be able to handle this so is there some setting that is wrong or is there a firmware issue?
yes it has been an issue since release.. i ended up rolling my firmware back to 1.4.0 because anything higher than that caused a lot of issues

LindaB

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:08 pm

bohregard wrote:My apologies everyone. I made a mistake and I uploaded the incorrect files. Please give me a moment to upload the correct files.

I received link to fix my frozen flash screen.
I keep getting cannot load volume /misc!

I am reading that there was a mistake and a new upload for the correct files is available. can it be sent?

iamb4u

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:18 pm

tnpaparazzi wrote:
GTerplan wrote:I have upgraded to the 2.1.1 firmware and with Kodi 16.1 and trying to play the newer h.265 files I am only getting choppy audio and no video. From what I have read, this box is supposed to be able to handle this so is there some setting that is wrong or is there a firmware issue?
yes it has been an issue since release.. i ended up rolling my firmware back to 1.4.0 because anything higher than that caused a lot of issues
how does one roll back firmware please help, hare the new update!

berger34

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:09 pm

hello i am still trying to update to 2.0 could someone please help. i've tried both methods of installing, two thumb drives and an SD card. keeps failing.tried wiping cache and full device restore.

keep getting error in yellow saying no such file or directory /dev/block/mmcblk0p1

i have been frustrated by this for over a year.

the box works great but it's a POS update system

😡😡😡😡😡😡

berger34

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:18 pm

also i've owned the box for 18 months and have never received a single OTA update

lkenny

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:36 am

Since update to 2.1.1, i get a buzzing sound out of the analog RCA port. It is OK with the HDMI sound

A1cellphones

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:37 pm

I am having trouble with google play. I cannot seem to log into my google game. I should have never updated my gboxz everything was working great until I did. When I load kodi i see matricom's logo appear. Sometime when I close an app I get a black screen that takes forever to go away. I dont even know what I updated to. It said stable now I regret doing it. I have to use bluestacks to play my game on my pc.
my gbox Q is on android 5.1.1 and the kernel version is 3.10.33 I really need some help.

• Information