[Firmware 2.1.1][OTA][Android 5.1.1] Q Update -- Welcome back rocket ship

This forum is used to discuss the G-PAD Q

Moderators: Matricom Guru, Global Moderator

Forum rules
If you need direct assistance from Matricom Technical Support you can e-mail a support agent directly via the e-mail support@matricom.net
dbaps

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:43 pm

My external drive keeps disconnecting. Oh well...

Kevo2015

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Ok can some one please help me, I am very hesitant on doing a manual update because it is always a lenthy process of reading forums and trying to figure out the right steps to get your device to take the update and then the update bugs ect. I am on 14.1 but the reboot menu says 14.0 so im not sure, but I put the 3 files on my usb drive that is fat 32 and those are the only 3 on there. It will get half way through the update and then abort and says something about permissions when it aborts. So I installed the es manger and when I try to turn on Root Explorer it says test failed device not compatible? Can some one tell me how to get past this So I can get the box to finish to update. Thank you :)

lamarrk

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:54 pm

bohregard wrote:Good afternoon everyone. This is a follow up to the previous firmware update we released. This addresses the issues with that firmware (see the changelog for a full breakdown). We will be releasing this firmware later today (Around 7pm EST). Please stay tuned for the download links.

Note: It is important to understand that this update is a major API update. Please back up Kodi, personal files, and other apps that you would like to keep.

Download Links (Updated Links)
Factory Update Param Script MD5: 98ff641897a0a7f680ee11dd848a24bc
q_2.1.1_b3aa81fe27.zip MD5: 6ec907938a36b50b72b679eef14d2b35
Recovery.img MD5: bacae7fb26c16a6c8424e5dc9b6365cd

Change Log:

Code: Select all

Fixed R/W for SDCard and UDisk
Added the menu long press cache clearing (Rocket Ship)
Fixed Provisioning of the device
Home button long press works (for real now)
Removed power off and added restart
LED turns off when you press the power button
Install Instructions
Rebooting from the Launcher
Download the firmware, the recovery.img and the factory_param_update.aml script onto the root of an SD card.
Insert the SD card into the G-Box.
From the main menu, choose "System Settings" > "Reboot Recovery".
The update will install automatically.

Toothpick Method:
Place the files on the root of an SD Card.
Reboot the box by unplugging it and plugging it back in while holding the hidden switch in the A/V port.
This worked for me! Took a little while after the update and I thought I'd bricked my box. Just waited a while and realized the "MATRICOM" on the screen was just hiding the behind the scene updating the OS was doing.

mrreedj

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:52 am

great job thank you :)

slickpicker

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Had to try several times with the toothpick, but it's up and running with new Kodi version as well.

Thanks for helping me out.

Ron_H

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:25 pm

Is the published MD5 of recovery.img (bacae7fb26c16a6c8424e5dc9b6365cd) correct?
I've downloaded more than once and each time I get a file with MD5 = bdaa484a7d20f7800f4d17ab73d69921

The other 2 files check out okay.

Vladson95
Baby Member
Baby Member

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:41 am

lamarrk wrote:
bohregard wrote:Good afternoon everyone. This is a follow up to the previous firmware update we released. This addresses the issues with that firmware (see the changelog for a full breakdown). We will be releasing this firmware later today (Around 7pm EST). Please stay tuned for the download links.

Note: It is important to understand that this update is a major API update. Please back up Kodi, personal files, and other apps that you would like to keep.

Change Log:

Install Instructions
Download the firmware, the recovery.img and the factory_param_update.aml script onto the root of an SD card.

Toothpick Method:
Reboot the box by unplugging it and plugging it back in while holding the hidden switch in the A/V port.
This worked for me! Took a little while after the update and I thought I'd bricked my box. Just waited a while and realized the "MATRICOM" on the screen was just hiding the behind the scene updating the OS was doing.
did you send an OTA update automatically?

trymph
Baby Member
Baby Member

Sat May 14, 2016 11:38 am

Hope this is the corrected mistake update file 2.1.1 on the first post of this thread. Assuming it is....I've loaded the 3 files onto a 2 gig SD card and the toothpick seemed to have no affect when restarting the G box. When trying the recovery method I get a list of choices to select from which I presume would identify the SD card source that I've inserted into the G Q1 box.

Which choice should I select as my source for the recovery given that I have the 3 files on the root of the inserted SD card? Sorry for not having a screen shot showing the choices and my ignorance at not knowing the label for selecting the SD card source name for recovery...

Thanks in advance
try

toolmanz
Baby Member
Baby Member

Mon May 16, 2016 9:51 am

Change Log:

Install Instructions

Toothpick Method:
Can anyone tell me if this is a new version of the original 2.1.1 software or not?
I am running the version 2.1.1 released Mar 01 - is this different? The post date is the same Mar 01?????? And file names seem to be the same as well???

Thanks
Toolmanz

berger34

Mon May 16, 2016 1:43 pm

hi when I try to update through the SD card method, I get a bunch of yellow text on the screen...

E:mount /dev/block/mcblk0p1 on /sdcard failed (no such file or directory), now try read-only to mount again .....

tried two different SD cards. same error. inserted SD card upside down into G box Q.

any advice please ?

edit: i'm on 1.4.0 by the way.

trymph
Baby Member
Baby Member

Tue May 17, 2016 7:20 pm

toolmanz wrote:

Change Log:

Install Instructions

Toothpick Method:
Can anyone tell me if this is a new version of the original 2.1.1 software or not?
I am running the version 2.1.1 released Mar 01 - is this different? The post date is the same Mar 01?????? And file names seem to be the same as well???

Thanks
Toolmanz

211errorSelect.jpg
Reboot/restore menu
211errorSelect.jpg
Reboot/restore menu
This is what i got from reboot/restore. Wrote to Matricom and they came back to me with <WHICH WORKS>
Thank you for contacting Matricom Technical Support!

Once you have entered the recovery you will
1. Select 'wipe data/factory reset'
2. Once it has wiped the device select "Apply Update from EXT"
3. Select 'update from sd'
4. Then the q_2.1.1 file
5. Then select 'Reboot system'

To make sure it took hold you can check your firmware by going to System Settings >> Advanced Settings >> About >> Build.

Your Matricom HelpDesk Team

Just one more question now that I'm on 5.1.1 Android: Firmware 2.1.1? q-wserdebug 5.1.1LMY47Vb3aa81fe27test-keys

BTW had to try a #3 a few times due to message about read file only but it finally read the zip file included in Boh's downloads above.

berger34

Fri May 20, 2016 8:35 am

wiping data didn't help.

?? two different SD
Attachments
image.jpeg

tsau

Fri May 20, 2016 2:29 pm

so, downloaded the three files needed for this update but my MD5's dont match. Tried the smaller ones a second time and got the same MD5s.

here is what I got
q_2.1.1_b3aa81fe27.zip 6ec907938a36b50b72b679eef14d2b35
factory_update_param.aml 98ff641897a0a7f680ee11dd848a24bc
recovery.img bdaa484a7d20f7800f4d17ab73d69921

Anyone have matching that got this to work?

Ron_H

Sat May 21, 2016 4:41 am

tsau wrote:so, downloaded the three files needed for this update but my MD5's dont match. Tried the smaller ones a second time and got the same MD5s.

here is what I got
q_2.1.1_b3aa81fe27.zip 6ec907938a36b50b72b679eef14d2b35
factory_update_param.aml 98ff641897a0a7f680ee11dd848a24bc
recovery.img bdaa484a7d20f7800f4d17ab73d69921

Anyone have matching that got this to work?
I queried this anomaly with the quoted MD5 of the recovery.img file but got no response however I can confirm that I managed to successfully install the firmware to my Q2 using the 3 files quoted above but only after I solicited help from Matricom Support. For info, I downloaded the files using Firefox - I understand there is only a potential problem if Internet Explorer is used.

Matricom Support supplied the following instructions:
Manual firmware update:

Required for this process,

G-box Q
Computer with SD card slot
Google Chrome browser (using Internet Explorer to download these files can cause complications with this process)
An empty SD card (formatted to FAT32 with at least 2 GB of memory and no more than 32 GB of memory)
Your SD card must be formatted to FAT32

Copy and paste the 3 firmware files onto an empty SD card (there must be no other files on the SD card and the zipped files must remain zipped)
Choose the “Reboot recovery” option from the system settings menu. Alternatively you can perform the "Toothpick Method" : https://wiki.matricom.net/i/The_Toothpick_Method

Once you have entered the recovery menu you can place the SD card inside the device and you will:
1. Select 'wipe data/factory reset'
2. Once it has wiped the device select "Apply Update from EXT"
3. Select 'update from sd'
4. Then the q_2.1.1 file

If the you are not able to boot into the recovery menu i recommend placing the SD card in the device first and then trying to boot into the recovery menu. The firmware should automatically attempt to install.

When rebooting the device it will stay on the matricom logo for a few minutes.
I could never get the firmware to install via the Recovery Menu so, after doing the 'wipe data/factory reset' step, I powered down then did a toothpick reboot adopting the advice in the last but one paragraph (i.e. with the SD card already in place) and the firmware successfully installed. Just one further point - note the last paragraph of the instructions as I thought that the unit had locked up when it restarted and it sat on the Matricom logo page for what seemed like ages. It really does stay there for quite a while.

Hope this helps.

rattle3975
Baby Member
Baby Member

Sun May 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Pdettore79 wrote:
rattle3975 wrote:Ok I'm gonna start by saying GBOX is a great unit when it come to the hardware unfortunately their firmware is hands down horrible all their firmware releases have tons of pages with all bugs every time 1.3 was ok but my advice is even if you buy the unit go straight to a different FW I love openelec you lose android as it is a kodi only OS it uses 75% less resources and run great I'm currently on 15.2 waiting for 16.2 go with openelec you will never turn back or spend the money on a shield which I also have which I run on M GOOD LUCK GUYS
Hey, any chance you can steer to getting openelec installed on my GBox? I've done some reading but it seems that it's chip specific and every time I think I've got it nailed down to what I need I find a outer one saying its old or don't work or they "bricked" their box because it was wrong..just don't want to mess it up fortunately as of right now on latest Matricom my box runs very well...but I've been very interested in trying openelec for some time now
sorry to take so long use this link http://amlinux.ru/image/6.0.0/ and use m8 version its 15.2 ive been having issues with the 16.1

• Information