[Firmware 2.1.1][OTA][Android 5.1.1] Q Update -- Welcome back rocket ship

This forum is used to discuss the G-PAD Q

Moderators: Matricom Guru, Global Moderator

Forum rules
If you need direct assistance from Matricom Technical Support you can e-mail a support agent directly via the e-mail support@matricom.net
rattle3975
Baby Member
Baby Member

Sun May 29, 2016 2:59 pm

lol just put 2.2.1 back on has anyone found the hidden game Flappy droid

rattle3975
Baby Member
Baby Member

Sun May 29, 2016 5:30 pm

so far so good much better than 2.0.0 so far found one bug edit app rows does not allow you to choose order the numbers appear to be missing but the led Q turns off when hit the power button. one thing im not happy with is that it is rooted and does not appear to have a way to change root psswrd or user if anyone can shine some light on that for me would be great. Also go to settings about and click model a bunch of time and there is a hidden game havent seen anything about it in the forums i would call it flappy droid lol

mhx

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Geek2You wrote:I have version 1.4 and trying to update to 2.1.1. I keep getting a signature error after
...Verifying update package...,
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
I have tried with SD, USB, toothpick method and also through the factory_update_param.aml batch file. All attempts create the same signature error. I validated the MD5 Signature of the files and it matched. My box did not auto update to the 2.0

Any ideas how to update to 2.1.1 without getting this error?

Thanks.
I'm in the exact same situation. Trying to update from 1.4 to 2.1.1, and I also never got the OTA update to 2.0.0.
Anyone found a solution to this yet?

Thanks
Last edited by mhx on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhx

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:32 pm

JO49 wrote:
Dizzy49 wrote:Why do I keep getting "failed to verify whole-file signature" ??
I tried upgrading from 1.4 to 2.0 and 2.1 and received the same error.
I copied the files to the root of a USB stick, as well as an update folder. I boot into recovery, Apply Update from EXT, select the zip, and it doesn't work.

I don't have a SD card, or any way to copy to one if I had one. I am SO sick of this thing!

Check out this post, it answers a lot of questions.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=23523
It does not answer this particular one. It looks like some people are getting "signature verification failed" because "footer is wrong", and others because "failed to verify whole-file signature". That post only addresses the first case.

NeXXeR

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:22 am

can i upgrade from 1.4 directly to 2.1.1? or do i need to install 2.0 first?

i too get the "failed to verify whole-file signature" message when attempting to upgrade to 2.1.1.

Jmille8934

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:39 am

abnutcracker wrote:Well that one installed .

Had to do a hard reboot,pulled power to make it complete the install .The apps seem to be not effected

I didn't realize holding the home button down ,long hold it brings up the apps horizontal view below . So remote works fine .

Buttttt still can't run backup on Kodi 16 ,as it doesn't see the SDcard

And still no Home functionality ,or power control on my K400 keyboard that worked fine before the update
Hi, I have lost the power control on the keyboard too after the update; were you able to resolve?

wolfer201

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:21 am

mhx wrote:
Geek2You wrote:I have version 1.4 and trying to update to 2.1.1. I keep getting a signature error after
...Verifying update package...,
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
I have tried with SD, USB, toothpick method and also through the factory_update_param.aml batch file. All attempts create the same signature error. I validated the MD5 Signature of the files and it matched. My box did not auto update to the 2.0

Thanks.
I'm in the exact same situation. Trying to update from 1.4 to 2.1.1, and I also never got the OTA update to 2.0.0.

Thanks

Anyone figure this out? I have had the same problem. never got the 2.0 ota, I try to update from 1.4 to either 2.0.0 or 2.1.1 and I get the Signature error. I've tried multiple SD cards and even a USB thumb drive.

janabiyah

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:19 am

Hi, does this update apply to the Q2 box also?
Is the Q2 software the same as Q1?

brillow

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:49 am

Ron_H wrote:
tsau wrote:so, downloaded the three files needed for this update but my MD5's dont match. Tried the smaller ones a second time and got the same MD5s.

here is what I got
q_2.1.1_b3aa81fe27.zip 6ec907938a36b50b72b679eef14d2b35
factory_update_param.aml 98ff641897a0a7f680ee11dd848a24bc
recovery.img bdaa484a7d20f7800f4d17ab73d69921

Anyone have matching that got this to work?
I queried this anomaly with the quoted MD5 of the recovery.img file but got no response however I can confirm that I managed to successfully install the firmware to my Q2 using the 3 files quoted above but only after I solicited help from Matricom Support. For info, I downloaded the files using Firefox - I understand there is only a potential problem if Internet Explorer is used.

Matricom Support supplied the following instructions:
Manual firmware update:

Required for this process,

G-box Q
Computer with SD card slot
Google Chrome browser (using Internet Explorer to download these files can cause complications with this process)
An empty SD card (formatted to FAT32 with at least 2 GB of memory and no more than 32 GB of memory)
Your SD card must be formatted to FAT32

Copy and paste the 3 firmware files onto an empty SD card (there must be no other files on the SD card and the zipped files must remain zipped)
Choose the “Reboot recovery” option from the system settings menu. Alternatively you can perform the "Toothpick Method" : https://wiki.matricom.net/i/The_Toothpick_Method

Once you have entered the recovery menu you can place the SD card inside the device and you will:
1. Select 'wipe data/factory reset'
2. Once it has wiped the device select "Apply Update from EXT"
3. Select 'update from sd'
4. Then the q_2.1.1 file

If the you are not able to boot into the recovery menu i recommend placing the SD card in the device first and then trying to boot into the recovery menu. The firmware should automatically attempt to install.

When rebooting the device it will stay on the matricom logo for a few minutes.
I could never get the firmware to install via the Recovery Menu so, after doing the 'wipe data/factory reset' step, I powered down then did a toothpick reboot adopting the advice in the last but one paragraph (i.e. with the SD card already in place) and the firmware successfully installed. Just one further point - note the last paragraph of the instructions as I thought that the unit had locked up when it restarted and it sat on the Matricom logo page for what seemed like ages. It really does stay there for quite a while.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ron_H for your input. Just to confirm, I also found the same MD5 as you two for the recovery.img file (bdaa484a7d20f7800f4d17ab73d69921). I assume there is an error in the original post or it is an old MD5(?). I also was able to upgrade the firmware 2 days ago using these files, which I only tried after Ron_H confirmed he had success, since he also had an issue with the MD5.

My setup prior to install: I unfortunately can't recall which firmware it came with, certainly 1.2 or slightly earlier. My box was never able to update OTA, I always got an error during update checks. My box also had the issue that it was never really able to power down, it would always restart seconds later. I downloaded the firmware using Chrome, checked the MD5s and transferred them to the root of a really old 2GB SD card. I selected Reboot (then selected the Recovery option) from the power-down menu as I did not have a Reboot Recovery option from my System Settings menu. The SD was in the box prior to rebooting. It took several minutes but installation went fine and ended on the new Recovery screen. I rebooted the system from Recovery menu with no problems. So I went from 1.2 (or earlier) to 2.1.1. Now powering down appears to work. The old "Media Center" app no longer runs, but the official Kodi app from the Play Store runs smoothly.

Hope this helps as well.

nightowl6900

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Whenever my box freezes and I have to do a cold reboot my date and time goes to dec 21 1969 and 7:00 pm. Does anyone else have the same problem. Thanks in advance.

Shrek

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Anyone know when android marshmallow will be availible on the gbox q?

dtm
Baby Member
Baby Member

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:06 am

Shrek wrote:Anyone know when android marshmallow will be availible on the gbox q?
Try contacting Matricom support and ask them. My guess would be never :(

z-man

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:31 am

wolfer201 wrote:
mhx wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks

Anyone figure this out? I have had the same problem. never got the 2.0 ota, I try to update from 1.4 to either 2.0.0 or 2.1.1 and I get the Signature error. I've tried multiple SD cards and even a USB thumb drive.

I had the same issue, I was trying to use a 64g micro SD card and when I went to format it the only option was Ex-Fat, this didn't work for me. I had a 32gb card and was able to format it in the FAT32 format and it worked fine. Not sure what size cards you guys are using but it appears it must be Fat32

GTerplan

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:28 am

I have tried the suggestion of putting the 2.0 firmware on the device first which did complete, but then it just gets stuck on checking for updates and will not continue.

UPDATE: After waiting for a while on the update screen I then tried the 2.1.1 update again using the toothpick method and it proceeded to update on top of the 2.0 firmware. Once that completed the setup proceeded past the checking for updates and I was able to use my box again with the newest available firmware.

laxamar

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Does this firmware work on the Q2 (not the original Q) device? Has anyone tried?

I can't find any firmware specific to the Q2

• Information